Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hunted n Gathered


Some of the bounty I brought home this week


      The Primal Lifestyle is based on the premise that food is the best medicine and optimal health involves eating like a caveman....whatever you can hunt and gather.  Modern day hunting and gathering isn't much like that of the caveman, but it still takes skill and a keen eye, to hunt down and gather new primal treats and deals.  When I make new discoveries, I like to share them.  This week, I came across a few great finds.  Let's start at Wegmans.  I found that they have grass fed steaks, shrink wrapped and ready to go.  I bought a strip steak.  It was tender and flavorful, and at least $3 cheaper per pound than at Whole Foods.  I also discovered, while almond flour is very expensive, it's also cheaper at Wegmans.  It was about $9/lb., which is better than the prices I noted recently, at King's Supermarket ($11/lb.) and Whole Foods ($12//lb.).  If it's grass fed chopped meat you're looking for, King's Supermarket carries a reasonably priced package of ground beef or already formed burgers or sliders (for sliders the primal way; in lettuce wraps).  Trader Joes gets the big prize this week, for some amazing items.  I bought a 16 oz. jar of their own raw, creamy and unsalted almond butter, for $5. It is delicious as a snack on some celery, and unbelievable as an ingredient in the fudge brownies I made ( see www.comfybelly.com for many wonderful recipes, including  grain free espresso fudge brownies. They are easy to make and simply the best). Trader Joes also has their own brand of reasonably priced coconut oil. The great finds went on from there.  I discovered their own brand of Italian Chicken Sausage, for $4.  It's gluten free, minimally processed, and tastes better than the usual pork sausage I'm accustomed to; a pleasant surprise.  It seems every time I go to Trader Joes,  I discover new, healthy "convenience" foods.  I've taken advantage of the already cleaned, chopped and frozen leeks (for soup), the peeled and frozen pearl onions (stews) and the grilled and frozen eggplant and zucchini planks (for veggie lasagna).  This time, I found already cleaned and chopped lacinato kale, already peeled garlic and a healthy chopped veggie mix (containing broccoli, carrots, green and red cabbage, jicama, green pepper, radish and celery), all in the refrigerator case.  I plan to saute the kale in garlic and olive oil and toss the veggie mix with a lemon vinegrette.  I'm happy to say, eating healthy gets easier all the time.














1 comment:

  1. I can't WAIT for trader joe's to come to Austin!! also: i've found pearl onions very hard to track down...

    ReplyDelete