Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Transitioning from Winter to Spring in a snap (of the pressure cooker lid, I mean)

 
   Hello, I'm back!  I bet you thought my blog was just a passing fancy.  Unfortunately, my day job got in the way (teacher), as well as a move to a new home, but I'm back in the kitchen and happy as ever to be here!  I've noticed over the past few years, the resurgence of the pressure cooker, especially noted in Top Chef Competitions.  I remember my Mom bravely used this tool, before it was likely safe to use in the kitchen. When I'd hear the top snap up, indicating full pressure was met, I'd jump.  My Mom would laugh, and dance across the room to prepare some other wonderful cooking creation.  I still jump a little when I hear the full pressure snap, but I've discovered that pressure cooking is actually a convenient tool for busy people.....people "under pressure".  I also can't help but sing a few lines from Queen's song, "Under Pressure", ever time I even think about using this tool.  These pots can be expensive, but if you wait for a sale (or pool a few gift certificates, as I did...plus a sale), you can get a deal.  The pressure cooker I bought came with an instruction book.  I also bought a cookbook, for a broader variety of recipes. You can also "google" any recipe you want, so save a tree!  I've found that a little experimentation is necessary, anyway, so you don't overcook or undercook your food.  I started with risotto, not believing that in 10 minutes I would be able to create the creamy mixture I make, after stirring for a half hour.  I found 10 minutes to be too much, and now cook the rice for 8 minutes, adding in sautéed mushrooms, greens and other veggies after the rice is cooked.  I'm delighted at the creaminess...whoda thought?  All recipes pretty much begin the same.  You saute some aromatics (garlic, onion, shallot), brown the meat if you're using meat, add in some liquid, close the lid, and start timing when you hear the snap of full pressure .  My daughter (see her AMAZING blog at: www.mywellfedlife.com ), said, "so it's basically a backwards slow cooker." And that's exactly what it is.  While I've used boneless chicken to make things like lemon chicken, the pressure cooker does best with meats you would braise. I made the most tender and delicious braised ribs (sautéed onions in olive oil, browned the ribs, poured on some homemade bbq sauce and some water) and served them with rainbow chard.  A colorful meal in every way.
 
 
 
 
I learned, while making baked beans, that if you take off the lid and find the food undercooked, you can reattached it, rebuilt the heat/pressure, and cook a little more.  The beans turned out far better than just dumping out a can of beans, and are certain to be included next year at Easter too.  Here are some Easter pictures...the traditional ham (make a glaze, so much better than the packaged goo), some layered potatoes (shallots, organic cream and grass fed butter).

 

 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment